Sunday, October 23, 2016

Redeux

I know... I know...I'm terrible at updating this Blogspot about my project (over a year!), but life sometimes gets in the way. I started a full-time job in January and my brother just got married last weekend to name a few things, so I've had quite a bit of change this year and still kind of readjusting. I was used to having a little money and lots of time, being in college and working part-time. Now, it seems like I have a little more money and a lot less time haha. Sorry for the lack of updates regardless, I want to try to update more often to keep the momentum/progress going.

The plan with the Datsun has changed in kind of big way. The Z, in reality, needed a lot of work (even though I said it was near "running/drive-able"). I was counting on everything working, although it hasn't ran in however many years (at least two in my possession) and was last registered in Nevada then went Non-Op? (surrendered license plates), making it a little complicated to get it registered here in California (not impossible, but probably more difficult). I ran into a few more issues and even though not many, it tends to add up both time and money-wise. At the two year mark of owning the Z (April 2016), I was sitting outside one night staring at the car, thinking of how much longer and how much more money it was going to take me to get it running at least (not to mention driving SAFELY). Looking back, I realized I was overoptimistic about buying that car as a project. Although, I did get it for a good price (for a rolling shell), what I needed was a Z that was running/driving (among other things) as a better starting point. So, I bought another 260z since it just made more sense money and time-wise.




 



I will keep the green Z (which will be referred to as "parts car") and will transfer all the new parts I bought to the new 260Z (side note: when I refer to my Z from now on, I mean the new one). Mechanically, the main issues it has was with the SU carbs and fuel lines, which I was going to swap out anyway. Also, I need to fix some wiring since one of the PO's thought twisting wires together and sometimes using electric tape to keep it together was a good enough fix rather than solder/crimp and heatshrink. The combination of these two things and a battery without a battery tie-down and a loose (-) terminal made it difficult/sketchy for my brother to drive back home and we had to stop every 20 mins (took streets from near Upland to W.L.A.) to recheck everything. But it made it back under it's own power, nonetheless. The car is registered in my name so I'm OFFICIALLY the owner of a 260z.

Also, I never updated when I purchased my triple Weber carburetors (see below), which I installed on my parts car and I've since transferred it, as well as my 6-1 headers, to my Z. I already installed braided fuel lines linking the Webers with AN fittings, but still need to finish lines to gas tank. Also, I need to change out the expansion plugs since one was leaking pretty badly due to it rusting out (might as well do them all). The leaking expansion plug kept getting punctured instead of getting knocked out so I might have to carefully dremel it partially and grab the rest out or may have to dremel the whole plug. This all means the car is not running atm (I know what you're thinking, lol), but I'm definitely thinking and planning this Z out more thoroughly.






I also previously bought Wilwood calipers with new pads/rotors, Techno Toy Tuning (T3) : GTX2 front LCA and TC rods, outer tie rod ends, front and rear coilovers (not pictured), and rear LCA (not pictured). I will be swapping/installing these parts later on in the future on a lift at the shop I currently work at (I'm spoiled now haha) instead of my driveway.

My main goal is to get it running with the Webers (and tuned), fix the wiring issues, and just enjoy it mostly stock for a while. One of the things I learned before with the other car is to not jump in too deep. It means less down time and more time enjoying the car, which also allows me to feel the before/after difference. That's the plan for now, I'll update again when I've made some progress!

1 comment:

  1. Good decision to get one in drivable condition and use the other one for parts! The project will go much faster now. Looking forward to your driving it over to Berge's for a "look see" someday soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete