Sunday, October 12, 2014

Parts!

Hey everyone!

Haven't worked on the car much since the last post (besides unbolting my broken exhaust) since I've been busy with work and hanging out with friends, but look what came in today!


Spark plug wires, spark plugs, clutch slave cylinder, steel braided clutch and brake lines, thermostat, and various gaskets (valve cover, oil pan and intake/exhaust gaskets not pictured). The bolts in the plastic bag are for the oil pan since the ones that were bolted were all rusty and probably shouldn't be reused.

I also ordered some silicone hoses for my Mishimoto radiator but I guess they were out of stock so Mike from the Z Store emailed me saying they will send them once they were in stock in a few weeks at no additional shipping for me which is good news.

I was going to order a new thermostat housing since my old one was REALLY rusted, but from looking at various places online, they don't make them for the 260z anymore! It looks like the '70-73 and '76-78 thermostat housings are different and the '70-73 housing would need to be modified for it to work. 



After finding this out and seeing my housing I wondered if I could somehow salvage it. I looked up simple ways to remove rust to clean it up a bit. Turns out apple cider vinegar works pretty well so I decided to give it a shot.


After a few hours, this is what it looked like in the cup (kind of looks like Pepsi, huh?). I checked it out and most of the rust was off, but had to run off to school so I left it in there for 8 more hours.


After I got back home, I took it out and looked a ton better and a lot of the rust/crud was removed especially after being wire brushed. I would say that the thermostat housing is salvaged.

That's it for now, but more updates/parts coming soon after midterms/papers!

EDIT: Also, I think I will be sanding down the rest of the car just like my hood once I get more free time, but that may be a while. 


No comments:

Post a Comment